Pandemic prevention: Protecting nature and safeguarding human health
The increasing emergence of new zoonotic diseases, combined with rapid growth in international travel, is pushing the world into an era of pandemics with immeasurable social and economic harm. Human impact on ecosystems, through deforestation and unsustainable land use, harmful animal husbandry practices and wildlife markets and trade, drive the risk of zoonotic spillover.
The post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework and the Global Action Plan for Biodiversity and Health provide a once-in-a-decade opportunity to reduce the risk of future pandemics of zoonotic origin. They are key to the implementation of a holistic approach to pandemic prevention, encompassing and building on the One Health approach.
This event will be a call to action from diverse leaders of the environment and global health communities. They will highlight win-win strategies for biodiversity conservation and pandemic prevention, and the complementarity of various international initiatives on this topic.
Date: Friday, December 16th
Time: 1:15-2:45pm Local Time EST
Location: Intercontinental Hotel, (next to Palais des Congrès), Ravel room, 360 Rue Saint-Antoine O, Tiohtià:ke (Montréal)
- STATE SECRETARY JOCHEN FLASBARTH, German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
- MME BÉRANGÈRE COUILLARD, French Vice-Minister for Biodiversity (TBC)
- DR. KIM GRÜTZMACHER, Senior Advisor on One Health, Biodiversity and Health at GIZ
- ANGELA GONZÁLEZ GRAU, Director of the National Commission for Biodiversity Management (CONAGEBIO), Ministry of Environment and Energy of Costa Rica
- DR. NICOLE REDVERS, Director of Indigenous Planetary Health at Western University’s Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry
- DR. CHADIA WANNOUS, One Health Global Coordinator, World Organization for Animal Health
- MARCO LAMBERTINI, Director General of WWF International
- DR. NIGEL SIZER, Executive Director, Preventing Pandemics at the Source Coalition
… and more to be announced.
Contact for event info and at COP 15: Lina Dieudonné, email@example.com, +1-438-927-3773